desktop

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sun Apr 5 11:55:57 EDT 2015

> On Apr 5, 2015, at 7:51 AM, Tom Saccent <sactom1 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> It seems that everytime I use Gnucash and quit the program, my desktop gets cluttered with a new program image and a new log file, To date I have 43 icons on my desktop. How do I get rid of them and have the needed logs stored in the Gnwucash app folder?

Just move all the files to a folder other than your desktop while GnuCash isn't running. The next time you open GnuCash it will whine about not being able to find the last-opened file. Dismiss the message box and use File>Open to navigate to the new location. The old location will still show up on the most-recently-used list, but you can ignore it. If you have more than one GnuCash file (i.e. book) then you'll need to use File>Open the first time for each rather than the MRU list.

You want the destination folder to be somewhere your automatic backup program can find it (you *do* have one running, right?). You *don't* want it mixed in with your executables (Program Files, Applications, or /usr|/opt depending on operating system). You also *don't* want it mixed in with your settings ($HOME/.gnucash). You may want it to be only for your GnuCash files. $HOME/Accounts or $HOME/GnuCash_Data are obvious places.

Regards,
John Ralls