Writing checks in Gnucash?

R. Victor Klassen rvklassen at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 07:03:21 EDT 2015

Look again.

GNUcash does have check printing capability.  Once you have it set up it looks like:

1) Go to the account window/tab for the checking account.
2) Select the transaction for the check in question
3) Type <command-P> on a Mac, similar short cut on other systems, or use File->Print Checks
4) A pop-up will come up, allowing you to select a check format.
5) After you get that all right, you press print, and the regular, system print dialogue comes up, and you still need to select print.

——

That is, once you have it set up.  If you already have checks of a supplied format, you can just select it from the menu.   Otherwise, there’s some setup required.
The setup is something you do once, and I’ve been through it but it was several years ago, so what I can remember was choosing something close, finding in the manual where the check format files are stored and editing the corresponding file, printing a test page and holding it up to the light; adjusting it, and iterating.   The information is in the tutorial on the web.

If you’re coming from Quicken, and have checks of their required format, you’re all set, as that format is already there.   Unless you want to do something fancy with the stub (which I do).

You asked about auto-numbering.   It sort of works.  I’m assuming your checks are printed with numbers on them, and you’re just talking about getting the right number in the register.  If you go to the register, and click on the number field, hit + it gives you the next number in sequence.  Which only works if the last check you printed OR entered by hand was the one before the one you’re about to print.