Fwd: A question about Gnucash

L. D. James ljames at apollo3.com
Sun Apr 12 03:49:00 EDT 2015

On 04/11/2015 02:37 PM, Alex Aycinena wrote:
> [...]
Hi, Smouazer.

In the future, please use text in your subject that will distinguish
your message thread from all the others and hint to what you're looking
for.  This will make it easier for people with expertise or interest in
your specific question to identify your thread.  All the threads are
either questions or comments on Gnucash.  You might have considered
using something like "why so many icons" or "how to avoid multiple
icons", or something to that effect.

If you consider doing this, you might find, a lot of times your answer
would come to you while you're taking the time to make your question
clear.  If spending time with your question doesn't give you the answer,
it will at least have given you some time to analyze it in such that
when people start to fill in your gaps in understanding, it'll be easier
to follow the dialog.

As far as the icons you refer to in your specific question, they are log
files and backup files.  All the data is in the one *.gnucash file that
you are working with.  If you have issues studying the log file might
help you to trace and identify the problems you experience.  The backup
file may come in handy if you make a mistake while you're working with
the system.

You don't have to be concerned with the other work files.  But again, if
you have a problem, an expert might be able to point you to one of those
files to have you resolve your problem.

I don't know if there's anything you can do to prevent those important
files from appearing.  You could periodically delete them.  Some
programs have the option of disabling backup and log files.  But that's
an option that I would never select... especially the backup feature.

-- L. James

--
L. D. James
ljames at apollo3.com