naming and numbering accounts

Brant LeBaron brantlouise at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 11:10:13 EDT 2015

I have just started with Gnucash, and am beginning with my personal
chequing account.
Once I am more familiar with the program, I intend to set up an account for
a small business.

When I go to create a new account, I see a field marked "Account Code".
When I create the business account I intend to use the GIFI account codes
in accordance with Canadian practice.

Is there a template in Gnucash that already includes these codes?
If not, if I create accounts from scratch and include the the GIFI code in
the "Account Code" field, is there a way of having the account code show
when the account is opened? (and if they do not show, what are they for?)

If I decide to title an account with a GIFI code—for instance,
1201-Accounts Receivable—would this create any conflict if I have the same
code in the "Account Code" field?