naming and numbering accounts

Gregory Forster fgreg74 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 23:27:56 EDT 2015

Hi Brant
     You can manually set up GNUcash anyway you want to.  Personally, I
didn't much care for the preset account trees.  I never did, even when I
used "Peachtree Complete Accounting."  I'm  not familiar with the
Canadian GIFI account codes.  I use the American GAAP.
(10000,10010,10020, etc. for assets (both fixed,  and current) and
contra assets; 20000 series for liabilities (both long term and
current), 30000 series for Owners' Equity, 40000 series for income and
50000 series for expenses.)  For example:  When creating the account for
10100 Checking; in the Account Name field, I put 10100 Checking; in the
Account Code field, I put 10100; in the Description field, I put
Checking.  That way, I keep it in the order I want it.

     Using a numerical order also allows you to sub categorize.  For
example: the account 20000 Liabilities can have 20100 as Current
Liabilities and 20200 as Long Term Liabilities  (both having 20000
Liabilities as the parent account.)  Then, you can have 20110 as your
FWD account and 20120 as your SWD account (both having 20100 Current
Liabilities as the parent account).  FWD and SWD are Federal and State
Withholding payroll taxes.  20210 may be an auto loan and 20220 could be
a mortgage, where 20200 Long Term  Liabilities is the parent account.

     It's best to lay out your account, sub-accounts, sub-sub accounts
strategy on paper first.  You can always add later, hoping you left room
to add more accounts.

Hope that helps a little.

Greg