"The selected accounts contain no data/transactions" but they do...

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri Apr 17 09:53:08 EDT 2015

Hi,

Diego <eldieguisimo at gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to get the "Expense Piechart" report for all expenses in
> the following account structure (in parenthesis is the type of
> account) for fundraising events for a non-profit:
>
> Events (income)
>       Event1  (income)
>             Income  (income)
>             Expenses  (expense)
>       Event2 (income)
>             Income (income)
>             Expenses (expense)
>
> When I try to run the report it says:
>
> "No data
> The selected accounts contain no data/transactions (or only zeroes) for
> the selected time period "
>
> According to the documentation this should work. Doesn't it? I'm
> missing something?
>
> If I change "Events" to be of type "Expense" (instead of "Income"), it
> does generate the report correctly.

The issue is that the "Expense Piechart" specifically looks for Expense
accounts, and it expects the full hierarchy to be of type Expense.  So
when your top-level account (Events) is of type "Income", the report
stops and says to itself "Oh, this is an Income account; I'll stop
looking below here".

> I still need to keep Events, Event1, and Event2 as income accounts
> (for other reports, and the "signs" of numbers in different contexts).
>
> I'm running Gnucash 2.6.6.
>
> I will appreciate any help.

Unfortunately for this report you'll need to change the account types.
Either that or you'll need to fix the report.