Windows Theme - gtk2_prefs.exe

AC gnucash at acarver.net
Mon Apr 20 19:09:14 EDT 2015

On 2015-04-20 14:58, Wm wrote:
> Tue, 7 Apr 2015 10:56:57 <1428429417251-4677692.post at n4.nabble.com>  Ian
> K <ik522000 at yahoo.co.uk>
>
>> Without getting any help I have found a workaround.
>> The MS-Windows theme was available on GnuCash 2.4.13, so I installed that
>> again on a virtual machine, then located the theme, which I found in
>> C:\Program Files (x86)\gnucash\share\themes
>> So I copied the folder MS-Windows from the 2.4.13 installation to my
>> 2.6.5
>> one and ran the theme selector. Thankfully it didn't crash this time
>> and I
>> was able to get my Windows theme back.
>
> Why is a theme important?  I only use them to distinguish one book from
> another and if you choose Metal (don't even try, or if you do report
> back) it may not even work.
>
> If not to distinguish one book from another how (or why) do other people
> use Themes?

I have a sensitivity to very bright objects because I use multiple
computers for long periods of time so I use any customizations available
to darken applications without turning them fully black and white (color
is fine, just not bright white or light backgrounds).  I haven't fully
edited a theme for GnuCash yet that satisfies the dark color and is also
functional but I'm working on it.  Most other applications I've done the
same which is especially easy if something has a theme interface (e.g.
Firefox and Thunderbird have installable themes).

Sometimes it doesn't work, for example web pages are hard or impossible
to theme properly so I'm stuck with them but the rest of FF is dark.  In
other cases I can't do anything to change the application (Google's new
Android Lollipop is very bright while KitKat had a nice, dark theme and
Microsoft's latest Office is all white with no ability to change either
of them.)  So I appreciate the theme support for GnuCash.