CNUCash Setup

David Cousens davidcousens at bigpond.com
Sun Aug 2 05:12:42 EDT 2015

Hi Cathy,

I migrated from MYOB (Accounting Plus) some years ago and followed a
process similar to what David T has suggested. I duplicated about  a
months data until I had identified the corresponding processes in
GnuCash to those I used in MYOB.

MYOB is generally a lot more customised for the particular jurisdiction
it is being used in (e.g. PAYG tables for Australian Tax system (
payroll - not in Business basics anyway),GST and BAS treatment). GnuCash
can treat GST but you need to set up the tax tables for this.

(see
http://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/2013-August/050315.html
  and
http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Tax_Handling:_Goods_and_Service_Tax_.28GST.29_or_Value_Added_Tax_.28VAT.29
for some details/ideas on how to do this)

One major difference is with regard to closing books. MYOB is generally
designed to use a new file for each financial year (although I did use
it over a multi-year period without closing the books and as long as I
set the dates for reports it gave me sensible results). In GnuCash, the
reports define the accounting period dates so it is possible to keep the
books in a single file for multiple years.  In GnuCash closing the books
is a soft process involving transferring the balances from the temporary
income and expense files for the accounting period to the equity files
and does not require the creation of a new file for the next period. My
memory of MYOB was that the annual closure of books required the
creation of a new file with the transfer of the permanent account
balances from the old file to the new file although this may have
changed in more recent versions.

Depending on your own reporting requirements (external and internal for
your business) you can do this weekly, monthly, quarterly semi-annually
and or annually or not at all and simply generate the reports for the
periods you require. See
http://www.gnucash.org/docs/v2.6/C/gnucash-help/tool-close-book.html for
details of the GnuCash process).

The MYOB processes are broadly described at the following link although
the payroll sections will not apply to Business Basics.

The other major differences are probably in the initiation and entering
of transaction. MYOB uses the Spend Money and Receive Money and Journal
Entries for initiating transactions.  Gnucash
(http://www.gnucash.org/docs/v2.6/C/gnucash-help/help.html) uses the
Business Menu items
(http://www.gnucash.org/docs/v2.6/C/gnucash-help/chapter_busnss.html)
for invoicing and billing and cash transactions can normally be handled
from the account registers (see
http://www.gnucash.org/docs/v2.6/C/gnucash-help/ch_Common_Trans_Ops.html) with
the splits in GnuCash parlance handling the double entry requirements.

It is probably a good idea to consult your accountant about End of Year
closure and dealing with tax liabilities depending upon your business
structure ( sole-trader, partnership, company, and any trust arrangements).
--
David Cousens