Mutual fund prices precision

AC gnucash at acarver.net
Mon Aug 3 17:31:36 EDT 2015

On 2015-08-03 13:50, Colin Law wrote:
> On 3 August 2015 at 21:40, AC <gnucash at acarver.net> wrote:
>>> This means you did not enter in the number of shares correctly...
>>> Either that or your rounding and the institution's rounding are
>>> different.
>>
>> No, I'm entering precisely what is on the statement for the number of
>> shares so both should agree.  It appears that the recomputation is
>> biting me.  I'll just have to let GC compute the price, it just throws
>> off basis information slightly since the price in the statement is not
>> exactly the price in GC.  But at least the other two values will line up.
>
> Exactly what values are you entering for total and shares and what
> prices are GC and the statement showing?
>
> Colin

As an example, a purchase of 136.742 shares (same precision as the
statement) for a total price of $650.89 (also same precision) and the
price per share is 4.759 on the statement and 4.75999 in GC.  The
statement lists prices per share to three decimals.  There is probably
internal rounding on their system that I can not see because no
statement or other record shows more than three decimals of price.

I don't have the paper statements in front of me at the moment but
there's another example I can show where a rounding is happening, too
(the above looks like a truncation) where GC's value is lower than the
statement value.

I do have another which is an initial conversion (sell off an old fund
and buy into a new one at one-for-one) which the shares are 429.545,
total buy-in is 429.55 and the price works out to 1.00001.

I'll just live with the price weirdness unless I can somehow get the
internal totals to have more significant figures.