Wrong Begining Balance Prevents Reconcilliation

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Aug 4 11:30:13 EDT 2015

Hi,

Dorel Ciornei <dorelciornei at yahoo.com> writes:

> Hi all,I tried to find some answers in previous e-mails and the user
> manual, but I can't find much.I imported the transactions from Quicken
> a few months ago.Largely it went without much troubles, until now.
> I have one account that refuses to reconcile.All the transactions are
> accurate and everything is identical between the GNU Cash record and
> the bank statement, including the final balances.The transactions to
> that date were imported already as reconciled ("Y" in the R column).
> The problem now is that when I try to reconcile, the Beginning Balance
> shown is wrong so it prevents the reconciliation.I don't know how GNU
> Cash came up with that Beginning Balance as it makes no sense.
> And since all the transactions are correct, including the 'real'
> beginning balance that was imported, I don't know what to do.
> Is there a way to delete all the reconciliation information for that
> particular account?If I could do that, I would just reconcile again
> all the transactions to that date.Otherwise what can I do?

GnuCash computes the opening balance as the sum of all currently
reconciled transactions.  So if this balance is wrong then either:

1) You accidentally deleted a reconciled transaction, or
2) You accidentally caused a reconciled transaction to get unreconciled,
or
3) You accidentally changed the value of a reconciled transaction.

What you need to do depends on which case you're in.  The easiest
recovery is from #2 where you just need to run the reconcile process
with the correct ending balance and re-check the transaction that got
unreconciled.

However, if you're in #1 or #3 then it will be more work to recover.

For #1 you'll need to figure out what's missing, re-add it, and then act
as if you're in case #2.

For #3 you'll need to figure out what got changed and then fix it.

In which direction is the computed balance off from the statement?
Can you easily figure out which case applies to you?