2 date columns for checking accounts

Michael Hendry hendry.michael at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 18:49:11 EDT 2015

> On 10 Aug 2015, at 22:34, John Parsons <john.parsons at cox.net> wrote:
>
> Dear GnuCASH users;
>
> Is it possible to get two (2) date columns for checking accounts?  I would find it handy to be able to have my check entries listed for the DATE I WROTE a check as well as the DATE THE CHECK CLEARED the bank.

The answer to your question is “no” - unless you write a patch to add this feature, or persuade someone else to do it for you.

Can you explain what you’re seeking to achieve by having this extra column?

When I write a cheque the money it represents is no longer mine, even if it takes a few days to leave my bank account, so the date I use in GnuCash is the date I write the cheque. I use Scheduled Transactions for regular subscriptions, utility bills etc., and have these posted a week or two in advance, so that I can see trouble coming up on the horizon (or rather, the blue line in the account register that separates the past from the future).

Michael