Receiving a payment from a customer

David Cousens davidcousens at bigpond.com
Thu Aug 20 21:07:55 EDT 2015

On 08/20/2015 06:18 AM, Carla Ford wrote:

> I watched the videos on YouTube but when I go to process
> payment under Customer I get a notice that says “You have no valid “Post To”
> accounts. Please create an account of type “a/Receivable” before you continur
> to process this payment. Perhaps you want to create and Invoice or Bill first.
>

> I have already created invoices for my Customers.

Carla,

An Invoice is implicitly associated with an Asset:AccountsReceivable
account which records money owing to a business by customers (an asset
of the business)  for which a demand for payment (Invoice) has been sent
to the customer. You will need to create this account if it does not
already exist in your chart of accounts. Depending upon the detail you
require to record you could also create a subaccount of
Asset:AccountsReceivable Asset:AccountsReceivable:CustomerName for each
customer and just have the Accounts Receivable account as a placeholder
to accumulate the total amount owing to your business.

When you create an Invoice to a customer, Gnucash will create a credit
entry for the requisite amount in an Income account (specified when you
enter the item details into the invoice -here you can also have a
sub-account for each customer if you require to know how much income
each customer generates for you or you may break down your income by
product or both) and a corresponding debit entry for the same amount in
the Asset:AccountsReceivable:CustomerName account. This is specified
when you post the invoice and the posting dialogue allows you to select
the Asset:AccountsReceivable account you wish to post it to.

When you receive a payment from the customer and record the payment of
the invoice a credit entry for the
Asset:AccountsReceivable(:CustomerName) and a corresponding debit entry
to your Bank account. This is in effect a transfer of the amount from
AccountsReceivable (money owed to you) to your bank account (money
received by you).

Hope this helps

David

--
*Dr David R Cousens* B.Sc.(Physics), M. Prof. Acc., Ph.D. (Physics),
Grad.Cert. Ed.