Problem using GNUcash on Two Computers

John Morris johnjeff at editide.us
Sun Aug 23 13:25:03 EDT 2015

Another issue to keep in mind is that the synchronization provided by Dropbox (or any other synchronization system) is not instantaneous. If I work on the laptop at a time when the laptop is not connected to the Internet, that work obviously will not propagate to the other computer until first the laptop connects to the Internet and then the other computer connects. Also, those connections must last long enough for the changes to be transferred between the cloud and the respective computer. So, for example, if I am working on the laptop and suddenly have to close down and run to the bus, the laptop might not have enough time to complete that last upload. GnuCash's lock system might help with this issue sometimes, but I can imagine scenarios where it could not possibly help, so some user caution is needed. Therefore, if the files used on the laptop and the other computer are indeed named the same, it might be useful to check each time the file is opened on a new computer to confirm that the last changes made on the other computer propagated correctly.

Best,
John