Problem using GNUcash on Two Computers

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Sun Aug 23 12:49:37 EDT 2015

On Sunday 23 August 2015 11:21:21 Jonathan Garber wrote:
> I have been using GNUcash since April on my PC and my laptop and have
> been accessing files from DropBox. Would GNUcash open and just access
> that last file that was saved in the folder or does it access the
> last file that THAT computer accessed?
>
> If it is the first, then I am ok and have been saving into the same
> file no matter which I used. If the second is true, I have two
> accounts going; one on my laptop and a second file with different
> info on my PC.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> I might have to try to compare the many saved files in my drop box
> folder but I thought that it would be worth the ask before I spent a
> lot of time investigating trying to figure out if I have created a
> mess.
>
> Jonathan

The basic logic behind this: when you close gnucash it will save the
full path to your last opened file (including its name) locally on the
PC. When gnucash restarts it will try to reopen that file based on full
path and name. So it won't check changed dates or try to find more
recent files.

If you used your laptop to work on the same file, your pc will just pick
up where you left. If the file you work on on your laptop has a
different name in your dropbox folder than the one your pc uses, you're
effectively working in two independent files as far as gnucash is
concerned.

So I'm afraid it's the latter of your two options.

Does that clarify how gnucash works ?

Best regards,

Geert