COA Sort Order Not Preserved

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Mon Aug 24 11:16:49 EDT 2015

> On Aug 24, 2015, at 3:41 PM, David T. <sunfish62 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> John,
>
> A couple further questions:
>
> 1) Can I edit the .gcm file directly and insert my preferred sort there?
> 2) If I were to do so, what entry would I use or modify?
>
> More generally, can I modify other entries in this file directly and change the behavior of the registers? (I would prefer the default register settings to have a slightly different geometry than I currently see) Finally, is there any documentation for the content and structure of this file? I’d hate to mess it up and break something.

David,

You could. You’d want to add e.g. sort_column=account-code to the [Account Hierarchy] section.

But in playing with it some more in an effort to understand what’s going on I discovered that the state-saving code is called only when shutting down GnuCash. Switching files doesn’t do it. So try making your changes to the sort order and then quitting and restarting.

Regards,
John Ralls