Confusion

Tokra Web Design babrees at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 01:49:33 EDT 2015

I haven't read any previous messages on this matter that may have been
posted, so apologise in advance if my reply is not relevant!

I am not sure why you have given up on using split transactions, or if
this has already been discussed, but I will go through how I enter a
deposit in the hope that it may help you.

First off my view for GnuCash is set up auto-split.

On receiving the money I would open the bank account where it's been
deposited to and enter $100 in the column "Tot Deposit".  I generally
tab to the next field and tabbing twice will take you to the next line,
which already has $100 entered in the withdrawal column.  For the
account column select ticket income and change the 100 to 50.  Tab and
it will take you to the next line with the balance of $50 already
entered.  Select the Rod Run Entry fees account and then click the Enter
button to finish.

Hope that helps!
Jill

On 25/08/2015 18:57, Cam Ellison wrote:
> On 25/08/15 10:25 AM, James Fuller wrote:
>> Good morning,
>>
>> I finally gave up on using split transactions as I can't make them
>> work for me on deposits.  I decided to make a deposit that needs to
>> be split without trying to use splits.
>> For example say I make a deposit for $100.00 of which $50.00 is from
>> ticket income and $50.00
>> Is from rod run entry fees.  The deposit shows $100.00 to ticket
>> income.I then hit the transfer button and enter $50.00 in the from
>> ticket income and $50.00 to rod run entry fees.
>> Problem now is that ticket income has increased by $50.00 and rod run
>> entry fees has been reduced by $50.00.
>> What in the world is going on?  I just can't see why the postings
>> should be reversed.
>>

> That is probably because you have one on each side of the ledger when
> they both must be on the same side.  If both are under Income, both
> will increase:
>
> Income
>     ----Tickets
>     ----Rod Run Entry Fees
>
> If one of those is under Assets or Expenses, an entry will cause a
> decrease.
>
> HTH
>
> Cam

---