I want to export an account as I see it in the interactive view of GnuCash as an ASCII file

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Fri Aug 28 14:04:45 EDT 2015

On Monday 24 August 2015 10:57:58 Anton Kratz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> when I look at an account in GnuCash, I see the following columns:
> Date, Num, Description, Transfer, R, Debit, Credit, Balance.
>
> Each transaction is on a single line.
>
> I want to export an account with these eight columns, with each
> transaction as a single line, as a tab-separated (or comma-separated)
> ASCII file. I.e. I want to export the account as I see it in the
> interactive view of GnuCash, as a delimiter-separated ASCII file. Is
> this possible, and how can I do that?
>
> I can export accounts as ASCII files via "File --> Export --> Export
> Transactions to CSV...".
>
> However, I then get much more columns and lines that I am interested
> in, namely columns:
>
> Date, Account Name, Number, Description, Notes, Memo, Category, Type,
> Action, Reconcile, To With Sym, From With Sym, To Num., From Num., To
> Rate/Price, From Rate/Price
>
> ...and also, each transaction is now on three lines.
>
> I can re-format the export into what I want and what I know from the
> GnuCash interactive view, but it is a very tedious and error-prone
> process.
>
> Anton

I'm afraid this is not possible from the gui and on OS X you won't be able to write a script for
it in python either (the python bindings are not available on OS X).

I haven't tried but perhaps you could use the transaction report instead ?

It has more configuration options and its output can be saved to html. I know both Excel and
LibreOffice/OpenOffice Calc can import the html file. Or you can even copy/paste directly from
the open report to an open spreadsheet.

Regards,

Geert