two different account books open at the same time, is this possible?

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Mon Aug 31 10:28:31 EDT 2015

> On Aug 31, 2015, at 3:49 AM, Anton Kratz <anton.kratz at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I am using GnuCash 2.6.7 under Mac OS X 10.10.5. I have two different
> *.gnucash-files, or books.
>
> (One is the main file and the other is for expenses in a foreign country
> and currency. This was the easiest way I could figure out how to avoid
> dealing with this situation, otherwise I would need to duplicate accounts,
> or deal with currency gains and losses which I don't want... anyway I know
> have two account books).
>
> I want to have both account books open at the same time. Either in the same
> or in two different instances of GnuCash.
>
> Is this possible?
>
> I found threads about this topic from years ago (
> http://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/2014-January/052176.html),
> but they mention something about preferences files clashing, and I wonder
> if this is still the case, and also my question is with respect to GnuCash
> 2.6.7 under Mac OS X 10.10.5.

Yes, it’s possible. On Macs GnuCash preferences uses the native defaults system which is fairly safe when two instances are running. Still, it’s probably wise to not change any preferences when there are two instances running. Finder won’t let you run two instances, though, so you’ll have to launch the second one from the command line.

Regards,
John Ralls