Split transactions memo field

Dorel Ciornei dorelciornei at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 3 00:25:57 EST 2015

Hi John/everyoneI can relate to Daivd's question too.
When I started using GNUCash I expected the notes entered in the corresponding split lines to transfer to the target accounts), but like you said, they don't.

For ex:
I pay at the grocery store with debit from the bank 100 for food and I in addition I get back 20 dollars cash.The transaction would show:Checking = -120 -> Description: "Kroger", Note on that line: "Spent at Kroger before weekend"
Groceries = +100 -> Note: "Food for thought and beer"
Cash = +20  Note: "Money I hid from my wife"
Then if I open the Groceries account, I would see this transaction for $100 with the Note: "Food for thought and beer" while opening the Cash account I would see the 20 dollars deposited with the Note: "Money I hid from my wife".
For me this was not a deal breaker since I don't hide money from my wife, but I wish I could enter these separate notes, just in case...
:)Seriously, that would be useful, although kind of a luxury.

DC

    On Tuesday, December 1, 2015 6:56 PM, John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> wrote:

> On Dec 1, 2015, at 2:02 PM, David Solet <dsolet at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I noticed that the memo field on a component of a split transaction does
> not transfer to the account to which it is assigned--only the description
> from the memo field for the combined splits is transferred. Is there a way
> of working around this? Hope this is clear; thanks for any information.

I think that you’re confusing the Transaction’s description field with the Split’s Memo field. Memo fields are visible only in Split view.

Regards,
John Ralls