Tracking a 401K investment

david.carlson.417@gmail.com david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 19:54:59 EST 2015

    You do not actually get income from a 401k until they send you a distribution.   Then you need to pay tax and maybe a penalty if you are not rolling it over to an IRA or you are getting old enough to get senior discounts at some restaurants.
If they invest the funds in stocks or mutual funds, one choice some of us use is to set up an asset type brokerage account in GnuCash using the example in the tutorial.
David C
Sent from my LG G Pad 7.0 LTE, an AT&T 4G LTE tablet

------ Original message------From: Joseph HesseDate: Mon, Dec 14, 2015 12:37 PMTo: gnucash-user at gnucash.org;Subject:Tracking a 401K investment
Hi,I have a 401K account from my previous employer from which I receive monthly statements indicating whether the amount goes up or down. I am thinking of tracking it in the following wayCreate Asset:401K and Income:401KI start Asset:401K with the current value from Equity:Opening Balance. If it increases in value, according to my monthly statement, I treat it as positive income in Income:401K.  if it decreases in value, I still use Income:401K but treat it as negative income.Is this scheme just a matter of my personal preference or should I do something else, like having decreases in value going to Expenses:401K?Thank you,Joe_______________________________________________gnucash-user mailing listgnucash-user at gnucash.orghttps://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user-----Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.