Tracking a 401K investment

Joseph Hesse joehesse at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 13:32:23 EST 2015

Hi,

I have a 401K account from my previous employer from which I receive
monthly statements indicating whether the amount goes up or down. I am
thinking of tracking it in the following way

Create Asset:401K and Income:401K

I start Asset:401K with the current value from Equity:Opening Balance.
If it increases in value, according to my monthly statement, I treat it
as positive income in Income:401K.  if it decreases in value, I still
use Income:401K but treat it as negative income.

Is this scheme just a matter of my personal preference or should I do
something else, like having decreases in value going to Expenses:401K?

Thank you,
Joe