Backup and recovery

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Sat Dec 19 04:53:05 EST 2015

On 18 December 2015 at 23:15, Alaric <um.167 at xtra.co.nz> wrote:
> I back up every two or three days using a frontend to rsync.  I have never
> had any problem before.  I have a display problem which has involved regular
> re installs of the distro and each time I copy the backed up files to my
> Documents directory.  I have always previously been able to open the file
> using the main name assigned to the set of accounts when I set it up.

If you have backed up regularly then you should still have the
accounts files from all those backups.  Can you not recover the files
from older backups?  Even if you have lost them the most recent backup
should have your <acccounts_name>.gnucash file and all the automatic
backups from the last 30 days which are
<accounts_name>.gnucash.datetime.gnucash.  It is possible that your
accounts file does not end in .gnucash (depending what you originally
saved it as) in which case the backups will be
<whatever_name_used>.datetime.gnucash.  The datetime is obviously the
long number yyyyddmmhhmmss.

Colin