Size of columns in register

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 20:49:55 EST 2015

On 12/21/2015 5:57 PM, Joseph Hesse wrote:
> On 12/16/2015 02:20 PM, david.carlson.417 at gmail.com wrote:
>>
>> The column widths in GnuCash transactions behave a little differently
>> than they do in spreadsheet programs.
>>

>> Generally, you can adjust column widths by grabbing the separator on
>> the right edge of the column except in the description column, which
>> always gets the area left over after the other columns are set.  If
>> they do not all fit in the window a horizontal scroll bar appears.
>> If you have a high resolution monitor you can make the entire window
>> fairly wide.
>>

>> In my case, I was able to reduce the default font size to see more
>> characters.
>>

>> David C
>>

>> Sent from my LG G Pad 7.0 LTE, an AT&T 4G LTE tablet

Joe,
I may not have been very clear.  Each account register can be adjusted
individually and GnuCash will remember each.  I should have said to
adjust the description column width last.  After setting the other
columns drag the right edge of the Account column leftward to a guess
that will compromise with the description width desired for that
particular register then drag the description column right edge to the
left.  It will then snap back to whatever it takes to fill the window
without a horizontal scroll bar.  That is hardly intuitive, but it is
probably as good as we will get until the next major release of GnuCash
comes out.

I have a very old CRT monitor with 1600x1200 resolution at 75 hz (and
extremely good color reproduction) on my main computer and I have the
default GnuCash font size set to 10 pts, and the windows icons and fonts
set to what I think is a reasonable size.  I have room for approximately
175 characters split between the description column and the account
column and around 16 2-line transactions vertical without maximizing the
GnuCash window.  I won't give up that monitor until it catches fire or
explodes.

David C