Help, Guide and other Translations

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Wed Dec 23 08:00:44 EST 2015

On Wednesday 23 December 2015 10:08:34 Pedro Albuquerque wrote:
> Hi,
> once again, thank you for your quick response.
>
> About being the only one, I don't know. I don't see any activity
> anywhere. I sent an email to Tiago Neiva, he has GC assigned to him at
> the translation project, and he simply told me to download what he
> already done and finish it.
>
> Regarding git, I tried a few days ago to make that pull request on
> github, regarding the web site.
> I forked the project, made the changes to the pt_PT file (which
> already existed), commited them, created a pull request, it said the
> merge could be automatic, merged it and safely deleted the branch.

I have quickly looked at your fork. It seems you have been merging inside your own repository
only. John's suggestion was to make pull requests against the upstream repository
https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash-htdocs

They will then be reviewed and merged into that primary repository when no problems are
found.

> If this is the way to do it, I'll do the same for gnucash docs from
> now on. And/Or GnuCash too.

That would be fine, provided you make pull requests to our main repositories, instead of your
own private ones.

Inside your own repositories, a pull request doesn't make sense. A pull request is - as the name
indicates - a request to pull the changes from one repository to another. You only need to
request this if you don't have permissions to perform the pull yourself (which you won't have
for the main gnucash repositories). Inside your own repositories you can push and pull as you
see fit without any of the gnucash development team member's permission.

Also, if you're the only one in control of your work, there's no need to "merge" a topic branch
into your master branch. In fact it will probably make your life easier if you keep the master
branch in sync with the "upstream" master branch (from the main gnucash-htdocs repository)
and make pull requests straight from your topic branches (like
pmralbuquerque/pmralbuquerque-patch-1[1]) instead of first merging the topic branch into
your private master branch.

That will make it easier to keep your repository in line with the upstream repositories after your
work has been merged in.

> Any way, I prefer to make a complete translation first. A partial
> translation is not pretty and can be confusing. I started by the help
> because it's what we see when we hit F1. Tutorial and concepts will
> follow.

Feel free to organize your work as you see fit. Thank you for your effort!

Geert

--------
[1] https://github.com/pmralbuquerque/gnucash-htdocs/commit/4ae5b1172ad1692032c66f77eb873baff4faacc6