Budgets - how does the community want to use them?

Dandridge, Charles chazdiezal at gmail.com
Sun Dec 27 12:26:36 EST 2015

Matt,

I'm happy to see gnucash getting a potential budget facelift.  I'd like to cast my vote for an envelope style budget option, it's also called a zero-based budget.  The general idea is to setup envelopes or "holders" for all expenditure categories and allocate income towards said holders.  As transactions are entered gnucash would pull in the actual vs budgeted and display remaining amount.  If the holder allotment is not used at the end of the particular budgeted cycle the remaining would "rollover" to the next cycle.  A few examples of this style of budgeting come to mind...
www.goodbudget.com
www.ynab.com

Thanks for your consideration.

Matt Graham: