Budgets - how does the community want to use them?

Wm... tcnw81 at tarrcity.demon.co.uk
Sun Dec 27 16:29:16 EST 2015

Sun, 27 Dec 2015 11:30:33
<BLU436-SMTP21203848CA5C347F2227A458FFA0 at phx.gbl>
Matt Graham <matt_graham2001 at hotmail.com> wrote...

>G'day GNUCash users,

Good evening from a mild but very wet UK

>I would like to improve the way Gnucash implements budgets, to make
>them more useful in a personal context.

At present GnuCash's Budgeting is more business than person orientated.

You may want to consider, "something new" rather than "fixing the
existing".

> However, I want to get feedback
>on how people want to use a budget so that this effort can make the
>software better for everyone.

May I gently suggest this is a bad way to approach this?  You can ask
for ideas but if you do it you are going to have to be clear minded.
Reason?  There isn't *a* way to do budgets.  The formal business methods
don't suit what most people as individuals expect.

>Please let me know (by posting to gnucash-user at gnucash.org) how you
>think budgets can be improved. For example:

>- what information do you want to see on the budget display?

with few exceptions most individuals budget Income and Expense,
budgeting changes in Assets, Liabilities and Equity is esoteric ... in
any event if you're budgeting for those maybe the existing facilities
would work.

>- Should Gnucash pull in your actual expenditure after the period has
>passed, Allowing you to see actual vs budgeted?

The existing budget reports do that.  Presuming you want something
deferent what are you planning to compare against?

>- what (if anything) should Gnucash do if you don't spend your budgeted
>amount - increase the budget for the next period automatically? Or just
>drop it off?

Nothing.  The current budgeting system is more formal, if you've money
left over you deal with it formally (i.e. transfer the budget according
to an annual plan or go back to the boss [1] and ask if you can reuse
it).

[1] I think you are the boss in this case so feel free to play with your
Budget as much as you want.

>Thoughts appreciated - I only use Gnucash for personal finances, so
>especially keen to hear what businesses think and would find useful.

I think it is the obverse, actually.  At the moment the GnuCash Budgets
are formal rather than personal.  There are a number of people
interested in this.

Budgets are a broad church, I wonder sometimes if they belong in
something like GnuCash at all since the word BUDGET seems to be loaded
with so many meanings by so many different people.

===

Mr Graham, don't let me put you off.  You have good correspondents in
this thread.
David T [2] is an active thinker in this regard.

You may also have missed a thread in the dev list

===