Gnucash 2.6.10 question - Why WebKit ?

Arno nvana_31 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 29 12:19:27 EST 2015

Dear Bill and Geert,

Thanks for your updates. I know about the EPEL repository and have been using it for years in RHEL 5, 6, Centos 5 and 6, but it always gives me unresolvable dependancy issues after maybe >1 years of usage, so I am trying to stay far away from it if possible for my CentOS 7 setup.

I was able to build all the apps I need (and some of them, like Kodi 15 are quite complex and need many libraries) on CentOS 7 without the need for EPEL. Except for GNUcash which is somehow in the middle of GTK2 and 3 it seems.

Today I compiled the GNOME library gtkhtml-3.14.3 (as is requested in the configure of GNUcash 2.4.13) and installed that one in /opt/office/gnucash. Setting up the PKG_CONFIG_PATH accordingly allowed me to compile GNUcash without tweaking the configure file for using gtkhtml-4.0 (which comes standard with CentOS 7).

But the binary still gives the dreaded GTK2 / GTK 3 symbols issues. I have no idea how to build a GTK2 only binary on a combined GTK2 / GTK3 system.

It seems to me the dependancy hell on Linux is coming up just as nicely as on Windows (.net anyone?). Why can't the GNOME developers make their libraries downwards compatible, just like programmers used to do in the Amiga days.

Do you guys know if there is a ready to run Docker installation of GNUcash available ?

In fact, as I just recently switched to GNOME 3, I see no improvements compared to GNOME 2 which I have been using for years on CentOS 6. Most things looked better on 2. I am considering switching to KDE in fact.

Greetings, Arno