Getting started with gnucash

david.carlson.417@gmail.com david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 17:16:17 EST 2015

    It has been a long time since I reviewed the current state of the GnuCash documentation regarding QIF imports, but I think you have gotten yourself wrapped around the axle several turns.
First, you accidentally chose the only recent release that crashes when trying to do a QIF import.  You need to download and install release 2.6.9.
Second, you cannot open a QIF file directly.  You need to import it.
Third, you need export your data from Quicken.  You will find that this step requires planning, because if you try importing a massive amount of data you may get a massive amount of garbage.
There is a lot help for that on the GnuCash website FAQ page as well as other places.
Luckily, it is easy to delete and start over.  Good luck! :)
David C
Sent from my LG G Pad 7.0 LTE, an AT&T 4G LTE tablet

------ Original message------From: Martin HayesDate: Wed, Dec 30, 2015 2:28 PMTo: gnucash-user at gnucash.org;Subject:Getting started with gnucash
I am a long time user of Quicken Premier, and since Intuit is no longergoing to support the program, I decided to try to use Gnucash.I downloaded the latest version of gnucash, converted my Quicken QDF fileto QIF, and imported it into gnucash. Gnucash created a fileFinances.gnucash (611bytes) but none of my accounts are listed on thescreen.I next tried to open the QIF file I had imported but get the error message"No suitable backend was found for the file:C//:*.QIF.I am totally inexperienced at programming and have spent several hourstrying to resolve this via internet searches and have made no headway. Iwould appreciate a little help.Thanks,Marty Hayes_______________________________________________gnucash-user mailing listgnucash-user at gnucash.orghttps://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user-----Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.