Can a lawyer's trust account be adequately managed from the same gnucash file as the rest of their accounting?

Mike or Penny Novack mpnovack at mtdata.com
Thu Dec 31 08:34:12 EST 2015

On 12/30/2015 9:59 PM, Macho Philipovich wrote:
> Hi there.
>
> I'd like to know the best way to manage accounting information for a
> solo lawyer's trust account using GNUcash.
>

> 2. If the answer to the first question is no, and two separate files
>    are needed, is there any way to alleviate the inconvenience of
>    managing two separate-yet-closely-related accounting files? The two
>    main annoyances are, first, that GNUcash doesn't seem to be able to
>    have more than one file open at once and, second, that managing two
>    separate files requires needless duplication of effort and inserts
>    the potential for error. For example, transferring money from the
>    trust account to the business account requires recording the same
>    transaction twice, in separate files, which can't be viewed
>    simultaneously.

How about if we generalize the question? Suppose you were a bookkeeper
by trade, not for one employer (a large entity) but several smaller
entities who were your clients (many small entities hire out their
bookkeeping). You would of course be keeping separate books for each of
these, yes?

OK, now suppose just by chance, there is a transaction between two of
the entities for which you were keeping books. From the above you would
be complaining that you weren't able to have the books for both of them
open at the same time. But would you be doing that? Wouldn't you be
working only on the set of books for the client you were billing for
those hours of work? Not also working on the books of another of your
clients.

Here the trust is (properly) a separate entity from the law firm.
Presumably bookkeeping time spent keeping the books for the trust would
be a chargeable expense for the trust. But time spent keeping the law
firm's own books not.

And I seriously disagree about the error question. Errors made
incorrectly entering a transaction affecting just one entity (from the
paper record) much easier to find and correct than an error made where
two sets of books open at the same time and you accidentally entered a
transaction meant for entity one into the books of entity two.

BTW, you COULD have both open at the same time. That is an operating
system and hardware supporting matter. What you can't have is both open
in the same session (same log in session). Windows, etc. would require
you to switch user back and forth (can't quite see both at the same
time. A 'nix OS with just one machine (and terminal) same thing. But a
'nix would support multiple simultaneous users. If you had two machines
side by side, one running everything and the second logged into the
first by "remote" (it's just acting as a terminal to a session on the
first) you could see both at the same time.

Michael D Novack