Can a lawyer's trust account be adequately managed from the same gnucash file as the rest of their accounting?

Liz edodd at billiau.net
Thu Dec 31 15:29:09 EST 2015

On Thu, 31 Dec 2015 03:39:15 -0500
Macho Philipovich <macho at resist.ca> wrote:

> 2. I can have all my separate files (4 of them) open at once on my
> Debian install, and I have menu entries for them which make this easy.
> As John Ralls hinted, this is not easy on a Mac.
>
>    I'm able to open two files at once running separate instances from
> the command line, as John suggested, but I have the sense this isn't
> what you're referring to. Is there another way?

I edited my xfce menu structure to give me the additional entries.
These are personal menu entries, not in /usr/share/menu but in
~/.local/share/applications/

> 3. I can then balance certain accounts against each other and ensure
> that the accountants don't cost me too much at the end of the
> financial year. For example, money I loan to the main business when I
> purchase on a credit card is entered in personal books with the
> credit card and in the business account.
>
>    Can you say anything more about how you do this mutual balancing?
> Does any existing tutorial address the process?
>    Thanks again!
>    —m

Most of them I can just check that the totals are the same, but one I
have resorted to printing off an account register listing and
reconciling.