Win OS reinstall looses Program files including logs - GCM file found

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Sun Feb 1 11:38:13 EST 2015

On 1 February 2015 at 16:17, David Carlson <david.carlson.417 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Colin,
>
> You have raised a good point.  What does GnuCash default to before there
> is a preference defined?  Is that mentioned somewhere in the documentation?
>
> Whether it is or not, I think that the method to choose a good location
> for the data file should be included in the Getting Started section of
> the Help Manual.  What if the user (like me) probably sailed right past
> the Cannot find default values screen without realizing what it does?  I
> didn't even know it existed until now, and I am sure new users would
> find it confusing at best.

I think you misunderstand, there is not (I don't think) anywhere to
specify the default location for Save As (which is effectively what
the first save is).  It is just wherever the Save dialog opens up the
first time.  I think this is covered reasonably well in the Help
system, in The Basics > Storing your financial data, where it
describes how to make a new file and save it.

I don't know anything about Windows and it may not be possible, but if
GC could go to the users Documents folder for the first save then that
would avoid this confusion.

GC is really no different to any other application, like Word for
example, when you initially save a new document it is up to you to
decide where to save to.

Colin