Importing QIF files

David Reiser dbreiser at icloud.com
Mon Feb 2 13:27:25 EST 2015

> On Feb 2, 2015, at 12:35 PM, Mark Wigmore <mawigmore at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 2 February 2015 at 17:24, Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu> wrote:
>
>> No, it can import stock and mutual fund transactions.
>>
>> However it sounds like the QIF file doesn't have the security set?
>>

> OK, I've exported from Moneydance 2014, not 2004 as I originally mistyped.
> Sorry about that.
>
> When I tried importing the whole file, with securities included, it came up
> with lots of errors as mentioned in the OP. I then removed the securities
> so it just had normal bank accounts and credit cards. That is when I got
> further and the new error, which was flagged up in the import dialog as a
> bug. That's when I posted the trace, hoping someone might be able to tell
> me what it was in the QIF file that I needed to fix.
>
> As it now looks like the security synchronising feature in GnuCash uses
> Yahoo! I don't think I'll continue. Moneydance also uses Yahoo and it is
> that that I'm having difficulties with, the data from Yahoo keeps jumping
> from pence to pounds and back again for some significant holdings, so my
> net worth is completely random! I need to find a money management tool that
> gets prices from a more reliable source. All suggestions welcome!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mark

When Yahoo fails for you, can you see the change in reporting pence vs pounds in the normal web page viewing? It’s been a long time, but there was a point when I wrote a patch for Finance-Quote to handle mutual funds which for some reason didn’t have an exchange associated with the price report and for which Yahoo was serving up quotes in GBp (case sensitive!, pence) vs. GBP (pounds). As long as Yahoo always declares a currency (GBp vs GBP) for your problem cases, FQ can be fixed. I can’t remember whether I sent the patch upstream. I think I was working on it at a time when FQ had no maintainer for quite a while. And since there has been little clamor for a fix that seemed to affect almost no-one, I haven’t pursued it lately.

Dave
--
Dave Reiser
dbreiser at icloud.com