Importing QIF files

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 11:36:20 EST 2015

On 2/3/2015 9:05 AM, Mark Wigmore wrote:
> On 3 February 2015 at 14:59, Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu> wrote:
>
>> Not odd at all.
>>
>> QIF doesn't *require* those preambles, but when they get used they are
>> required.  It's like programming a bit:  *IF* you use a variable then
>> you have to define/set that variable.  But if you don't use the variable
>> then it's not required.
>>
>> When you have a single-account QIF file there are no "variables" that
>> get used, so it doesn't have to define them.
>>
>> I'd still love to see the QIF file that breaks the importer; the
>> importer is fairly well tested and QIF really hasn't changed much.
>>
>> OIC. As much as I'd like to send you the QIF file I trust you'll
> understand why I can't... It's a shame the error messages don't give more
> clues as to what's wrong.
>
> Mark

Mark,
While your QIF file is full of sensitive data that would be tedious to
sanitize, I think that it should be possible to take a tiny excerpt
representing a couple of transactions in one  or two accounts and
sanitize that just to show the structure.  If you have not yet resolved
the date representation issue, for example, this could be helpful.
Change the name of a bank account to something trivial like fooBank, for
example.

I recall that when I went through that process a few years ago I needed
to not only create QIF exports from Moneydance for fairly short time
windows like a month or two at a time,  but I also needed to manually
remove certain sections for the investment accounts from the middle of
the QIF before importing it into GnuCash.

David C