Importing QIF files

Mark Wigmore mawigmore at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 13:02:21 EST 2015

On 3 February 2015 at 16:36, David Carlson <david.carlson.417 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> While your QIF file is full of sensitive data that would be tedious to
> sanitize, I think that it should be possible to take a tiny excerpt
> representing a couple of transactions in one  or two accounts and
> sanitize that just to show the structure.  If you have not yet resolved
> the date representation issue, for example, this could be helpful.

I didn't have a date issue, never got that far! It would be helpful, as I
said before, if the error reports gave some indication of what was causing
the problem, even a file offset or better still the full text of the
transaction it was struggling with.

> Change the name of a bank account to something trivial like fooBank, for
> example.
>
> I recall that when I went through that process a few years ago I needed
> to not only create QIF exports from Moneydance for fairly short time
> windows like a month or two at a time,  but I also needed to manually
> remove certain sections for the investment accounts from the middle of
> the QIF before importing it into GnuCash.

I've had a thought, not sure if it will work. I could export each account
separately from BankTree and import them individually into GnuCash. Not
sure how it would be able to link up the two sides of the double entries
though.

Mark