how to "undo"

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 10:39:54 EST 2015

On 5 February 2015 at 14:33,  <bugreport19621012 at fastmail.fm> wrote:
> Is there a way to "undo" my recent actions?  Somehow I seem to have deleted
> a reconciled transaction.  I was not aware of any dialog box cautioning me;
> the transaction just disappeared. I know it was there earlier because it was
> already reconciled in my checking account. It was about to be reconciled in
> the credit card account; I got distracted and "whoops!" it was gone. Is
> there a way to step backward, undo-ing recent actions?
>
> Alternatively, how does one *properly* use the backup files?  My GnuCash
> backup directory contains several files created in the previous sixty
> minutes, named *.gnucash and *.log.
>
> But if I open an earlier *gnucash file, is not my current GnuCash state
> lost? It seems that would wreak havoc.

No, the old data will not be lost.  I suggest closing gnucash,
renaming your current file to whatever_it_is.gnucash.bak (just in case
of disasters). Start gnucash (which will show an error as it cannot
find the file you had open previously (as you have renamed it) then
use File > Open to fetch the last timestamped backup gnucash file from
before the error and then (after checking it looks ok) do File > Save
As and save it as your original filename (without the timestamp).
Then you can repeat anything you did since that last backup.

Colin