OFX transaction dilemma

harphauler hurst.lou at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 18:12:32 EST 2015

I think I became too verbose with my question and explanation.

I don't have a problem with the how of dealing with a dividend reinvest
transaction.  I think of it as two separate transactions, a dividend income
coming in and a buy of new shares going out thus balancing each other.  In
our case and in my example where only an even number of new shares are
bought we get to keep the extra $2 so our cash balance in the account has a
net increase after reinvesting of $2.

My annoyance comes from downloading the transaction.  If I just accept the
transaction as is from the brokerage I wind up with a net cash increase in
the amount of what should have been the buy transaction.  In my first
example of HOLDING A I have $50 too much cash and with HOLDING B $48 too
much.  In both examples what I wind up doing is manually editing the
dividend payment as a split - dividend income, buy X number of new shares
with the register showing either blank/0 for HOLDING A or $2 for HOLDING B.
Or I manually create a separate buy for the reinvest transaction.  In either
case I don't accept the buy transaction in Gnucash.  We have several of
these transactions weekly so it gets old quickly in either Gnucash or
Quicken doing the work manually.

I'm looking for a less tedious method of dealing with the transactions I
download; the underlying problem is in the way brokerages are required to
present the information in their QFX/OFX files, that info has to conform to
Intuit/Quicken's format.

Thanks again!