OFX transaction dilemma

Edward Doolittle edward.doolittle at gmail.com
Sun Feb 8 18:56:44 EST 2015

I don't know anything about QFX/OFX nor Quicken, but I do find the whole
situation puzzling. If you have too much cash in an account, the cash must
have come from somewhere (at least as far as GnuCash is concerned; I don't
know about Quicken). What do the transactions look like in GnuCash? You
describe the end result of some of your accounts but the actual
transactions are not clear to me from your message. Perhaps I'm missing
something.

The only way I can see the situation you describe happening in GnuCash is
if something like the transactions

cr: Income:Dividend $50.00
dr. Investments:Brokerage:Cash $50.00

cr. Income:Dividend $50.00
dr. Investments:Brokerage:HoldingB 6

both appear, which is clearly wrong. What you want is:

cr: Income:Dividend $50.00
dr. Investments:Brokerage:Cash $50.00

cr. Investments:Brokerage:Cash $48.00
dr. Investments:Brokerage:HoldingB 6

or the more sophisticated version using splits, but that is perhaps too
much to ask at the present time and could lead to confusion (see below).

Unless exactly that information (or a mapping of that information, say,
with account names changed) is contained in the QFX/OFX file, you're going
to have trouble when you import. Can you post a fragment of a QFX file?

A simple, straightforward way to model the situation might be to run
everything through the cash account. Dividends get paid into cash, sales
are made into cash, and buys are made from cash. The cash account should
appear as a leg in every transaction. That seems to work for interpreting
brokerage CSV files which only have one leg of a transaction per line, with
the other leg missing, so it might work for constructing/interpreting QFX
files as well.