Query re recording a computer purchase as a fixed asset

MP99 martinrpayneuk+gnucash at gmail.com
Sat Feb 7 11:59:45 EST 2015

Ah, thank you for a very clear explanation - that was indeed it.

When I created the New Bill (A/P), I entered the individual lines of the
invoice and used the Tax Tables to divide out the tax element. This gave a
breakdown in Liabilities:Accounts Payable exactly as you described.

The step I was missing? I had assigned the line in the bill to
Expenses:Computers, when it should have gone to Assets:Fixed
Assets:Computer.

The tax element of this went to VAT:Input:Vat Standard Rate, but I'm OK with
this as we will eventually become "VAT registered", and then we'll be able
to offset this against VAT that we charge. So, I'm fine with it showing on
the books as a negative liability for now.

Buddha Buck wrote