Lost data

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 8 13:06:27 EST 2015

On 2/8/2015 8:24 AM, David Carlson wrote:
> On 10/14/2014 8:01 AM, gillpyrah at gmail.com wrote:
>>

>> Trying to export data to accountants accidentally lost it all to “bin” and though I can see every item as a few KB each, can’t copy or highlight all to retrieve. Somehow I’ve got two entries back but thousands are still in the bin. Please help! I have tried going to “import” and got back to the bin, just can’t pick the info up. Thanks.
>>

>> Gill Pyrah
>> 40 Warrington Crescent
>> London W9 1EL
>> 0207 286 9577 / 07946 352 671
> That message must have been sitting somewhere for a long time.  Are you
> still having that problem?  It looks like you may have saved the
> exported data file in the wrong folder.  I am not sure if that is what
> you mean by "bin".
>
> David C

The only place within GnuCash that I can imagine that you found a 'bin'
would be in the program files directory if you used any of the commands
under the "File" menu item.  Unfortunately, GnuCash lately has been
making it very easy to accidentally put data files into "C:\Program
Files (x86)\gnucash\bin" by mistake.  You should keep your data file and
any import or export files in sub directories under (or near) 'My
Documents" similar to the way you keep your other personal files.  If
you tell your geek friend that GnuCash should keep files similar to the
way Open Office does but it put the files into the program directory
"C:\Program Files (x86)\gnucash\bin" by mistake he will be able to help
you move them to a better place.