Can cash purchases track suppliers and GST?

Liz edodd at billiau.net
Tue Feb 10 14:25:52 EST 2015

On Tue, 10 Feb 2015 10:10:57 -0700
Scott Rowed <scott.rowed at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there any easy way to track vendors and GST (Canada) when making
> cash purchases? For example I shop at Costco for the following items
> and pay cash:
>

> Batteries....15.99 + 5% GST
> USB flash drive....29.99 + 5% GST
> Pizza for office party....13.00 (no GST)
>

> At the end of the year I'd like to access a report on my purchases at
> Costco. Also, of course, I need to find out my total GST for the
> government reports.
>

> In Gnucash, it seems that the best way I can do this is to open up a
> new bill to post in accounts payable, enter the data, then pay it
> after. This way it has the tax fields as well as linking the
> purchases to a specific vendor.
>

> I used to use Quickbooks and there it was quite easy and fast.
>
> Thanks.

Do you put Costco in the payee field, or batteries, USB flashdrive and
pizza?
If you have a consistent entry in a field eg Payee, you can run a
search for "Costco" in "Payee" and then filter by date for the
financial or other year. Then you run a report.
I put in my GST by splitting entries at the time. I use Invoices but
not Bills.