Can cash purchases track suppliers and GST?

Scott Rowed scott.rowed at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 12:10:57 EST 2015

Is there any easy way to track vendors and GST (Canada) when making cash
purchases? For example I shop at Costco for the following items and pay
cash:

Batteries....15.99 + 5% GST
USB flash drive....29.99 + 5% GST
Pizza for office party....13.00 (no GST)

At the end of the year I'd like to access a report on my purchases at
Costco. Also, of course, I need to find out my total GST for the
government reports.

In Gnucash, it seems that the best way I can do this is to open up a new
bill to post in accounts payable, enter the data, then pay it after.
This way it has the tax fields as well as linking the purchases to a
specific vendor.

I used to use Quickbooks and there it was quite easy and fast.

Thanks.