Memorised transactions

Liz edodd at billiau.net
Tue Feb 10 05:02:00 EST 2015

On Tue, 10 Feb 2015 12:08:08 +0800
Ros Bowyer <goldfirestone at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm a relative newbie to Gnucash, having previously used Quicken
> software for many years.  In Quicken I had my setup defaulted to
> memorise transaction categories but I can't find this feature in
> Gnucash. I see that others have asked about turning this feature off
> so clearly it is available.  Could someone please point me in the
> right direction?
>
> Currently the payee is memorised and autofills but the category
> defaults to 'unspecified' rather than defaulting to whatever category
> was previously used.  It would save me an enormous amount of time to
> have it default to the last used category. Sorry for posting such a
> basic question - your help would be much appreciated,
>
> Cheers,
> Ros :)

It does default to the last used category for that payee. That's not
the last one you entered, but the chronologically last one.
If you are entering old transactions, make a new one for the future to
the correct account. You can use a value of zero and then overwrite
this value when entering transactions.