Question - transactions between foreign currencies.

Wm wm+gnc at tarrcity.demon.co.uk
Wed Feb 11 18:23:49 EST 2015

Sat, 7 Feb 2015 12:42:14 <017A31ACA390FA3C233DFCF0 at muskoka.private> Mike
Alexander <mta at umich.edu>

>--On February 7, 2015 at 7:08:26 AM -0800 John Ralls
><jralls at ceridwen.us> wrote:
>
>> Setting aside that you should be careful when using the quotes button
>> in the transfer dialog because the exchange rate that it provides
>> isn't necessarily what was effective for your transaction, can you
>> get RON <-> CHF rates online?
>
>Finance Quote knows how to do that:
>
>mta at bayswater /<3>darwin>bin/gnc-fq-dump currency RON CHF
>1 RON = 0.2375 CHF
>mta at bayswater /<3>darwin>bin/gnc-fq-dump currency CHF RON
>1 CHF = 4.2102 RON

I'm not sure that's the point. gnc can (I think) do just about any
*real* transaction but can't do a theoretical market one.  that seems
reasonable to me.

>However, I think GnuCash only retrieves currency quotes against the
>default currency of the file so I don't think there's any way to get it
>to retrieve the quote you want.

I'm not convinced gnc should be the place for people to store market
movements as opposed to transactions.  But I've said that before and
others have too.

If I put it another way and asked would you use any gnc backend as the
natural store for daily or more frequent currency and stock tracking I'd
expect you to say no.

--
Wm...