Accounting Periods

David chrstdvd at gmail.com
Sat Feb 14 15:50:49 EST 2015

Michael, I am confusing a lot of things. I did follow your advice and played
around with Options in several types of reports.  I am only tracking my
wife's and my retirements and our social security.

Basisically, cash flow works for my retirement income as it is deposited
into a saving account and then I transfer monthly from that account into
what Quicken called Saving goal accounts to cover annual property tan on
land and autos. Then rest is transferred to a joint account where my
daughter, a college student, spends it for tuition and her expenses, and an
amount to my checking account where my Soc SecIs deposited.  What is left is
transferred to another contingency account for appliance replacement/repair
and things like that.
So cash flow is fine for that.

My checking account pays for all our fixed expenses like mortgage,
insurances, and utilities.  Electric bill is variable but I budget 85 a
month which averages out for seasonal variations.
So, cash flow is good for that account.

Then comes my wife's incomes and her checking account.  Here is where I
think I need a budget, but Budget reports in gnucash do not take transfers
into the report.  At least I did not think they did until I followed your
advice today.  I pulled a budget report that had assets, liabilities,income
and expenses listed.  So maybe if I delete all the budgets I made at first
that mimic my Quicken budgets, I will figure out how to get a budget that I
can use to monitor our monthly expenditures for what I call our variable
expenses and manage to save $500 of her income each month to go into her
savings account.

I tinkered with this a bit this morning using the different choices in the
section for the time period of the report.  I ended going into the
preferences and changing the accounting period back to yearly.  And will use
beginning of this month to end of this month in the reports.

I think I screw up the book closing where you choose equity or retained
earnings, because I have a big negative retained earnings.  I will leave
that for another thread because I am keeping Q going as I learn how gnucash
works.  I have an empty set of account placeholders set aside and can start
over with a new QIF import later once I feel confident with gnu cash.

Thanks