Accounting Periods

YeOldHinnerk HRamthun at gmx.de
Wed Feb 25 10:03:12 EST 2015

Hi David,

budgeting isn't the strongest feat of GnuCash, but from what I read, you
could do it the proper accounting way and build up reserves e.g. using
scheduled transactions. Then you balance sheet would an the asset side show
you checking accounts and under liabs you would see any reserves you have
built up. Decrease these, when the actual cashflow happens. Your balance
sheet would also show you under equity how much money is not used up by the
reserves. If you also book your payables with a scheduled transaction at the
beginning of each month (and decrease these when the cashflow happens), you
should see a full "budget" for the upcoming month in you balance sheet.

That's the way I do it anyway. I never was too happy with the built-in
budgets in GnuCash, which also don't respect book closings and require too
much manual work for me.

Best,

YeOldHinnerk