importing files into GnuCash

Patrick Doyle wpdster at gmail.com
Sat Feb 14 16:47:13 EST 2015

Hello Doug,
I successfully imported 10 years of Quicken Data into GNU cash just
last month.  (I decided with the new year, I wanted to make the switch
from Quicken to GNUCash).  The hardest part about importing my Quicken
data was setting up my chart of accounts in GNU cash to match the way
I had abused Quicken for 10 years.  (I have a rather non-standard way
of tracking my budget -- it's kind of like using Microsoft PowerPoint
to maintain a Christmas Card mailing list -- it works for me, but I
would never advocate that anybody else use it.)

If you've used Quicken the way way Intuit intended, tracking income
and expenses as separate income and expense categories, it should go
very smoothly for you.  I would encourage you to just try it --
install GNC, export the data from Quicken, import it into GNC, and see
what happens.  All it will cost you is some time.

--wpd