importing files into GnuCash

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 14 18:07:57 EST 2015

On 2/14/2015 4:00 PM, Colin Law wrote:
> On 14 February 2015 at 21:45, Dave H <hellvee at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Have a look at the GnuCash wiki/faq at http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ -
>> more answers than you can poke a stick at :-)
> Before you try to import I recommend running the two in parallel for a
> while so as to get the hang of how GC works and sort out how you want
> the accounts (particularly expense accounts) organised.  Once you are
> happy with that then you can start again and import the data into the
> right structure of accounts for you.  If you try to do the import
> first you will find that you have not got it organised how you want
> and then have to spend time re-organising it all.
>
> Colin

Doug.

While you are running both programs in parallel also try exporting small
chunks of data out of Q and importing into a test file on GnuCash.  You
may find that certain things import better if they are restructured in Q
before exporting.  If Q still exports in QIF format, that may be the
best format choice.

David C