Transfer window appears when it should not - further information

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Wed Feb 18 09:56:51 EST 2015

> On Feb 17, 2015, at 9:37 PM, Ken Heard <kenslists at teksavvy.com> wrote:

> On 2015-02-18 01:17, Derek Atkins the warlord wrote:
>
> (snip)
>
>> The issue is that the transaction currency gets set when the
>> transaction is created.  This means that the transaction you are
>> trying to manipulate has the THB currency embedded in it, and will
>> forever more.
>>
>> Changing the currency of your Imbalance account wont help, because
>> the transaction itself is *still* in THB.
>
> While my default locale is Canada and my default currency is CADs, I
> have sets of accounts in several other currencies, THB, USD, GBP and
> EUR being the main ones.  I have bank accounts in all these
> currencies,and when I am in countries where they are the usual
> currency all the expenses I incur those countries are in those
> currencies.
>
> Consider a situation where I have a transaction in one of those other
> currencies where all the accounts in it are in those currencies. After
> making all the entries in the transaction there may be an unnoticed
> inadvertent imbalance. If then I try to save such a transaction, and
> before being allowed to save it will I always be be asked to convert
> the imbalance to the default currency?  If so, in such a situation I
> would consider that requirement a bug.

Maybe. It would depend on where you initiated the transaction, which is what sets the currency. The transaction currency is set by the account in whose register you create it in; if it's a journal register (i.e. General Ledger or "Find" results) it will be the default currency. All other splits are converted to the transaction currency for balancing, so you'll get a transfer dialog for every split that isn't in that currency.

> Furthermore, it has always been my understanding that in a transaction
> involving two currencies, no splits are allowed.  Only the two
> accounts involved are allowed.  Does this rule not apply to imbalances
> where at least one split is necessary?  In the transaction which
> prompted my original query to the list there are eleven lines (or
> splits?) in it.

I think you mean no more than two splits. A no-split transaction is empty. Regardless, there's no problem with many-split two-currency transactions. Care is required when more than two currencies/commodities are involved; we had a discussion about that here a couple of weeks ago that you might want to search for.

Regards,
John Ralls