Very basic question about gnucash

Melvin Billik mbillik at charter.net
Thu Feb 19 15:48:24 EST 2015

O.K. I have a financial spreadsheet that I created and use to track my
entire financial situation. It has many stocks and mutual funds listed, as
well as other items (value of home, cars, other local savings accounts,
etc.). The purpose is just to give me a snapshot of my net worth.

But it is a pain to update as I have to look up each stock/fund and enter
the latest price. The spreadsheet then calculates the total value and adds
things up. I have a separate section for cash items, stocks/fund in regular
accounts, stocks/funds in IRAs, and stocks/funds in Roth IRAs, as well as
debits (eg: mortgage balance, credit card balances, etc.).

 I have a separate spreadsheet to do capital gains/losses, so that’s not
essential.

Which Quicken will do the job. I want to be able to enter things like my
house value, furnishings value, car values, credit card debts, etc. But I
want the spreadsheet to automatically update my stocks, bonds, mutual
funds, and keep them separate (eg: IRAs, ROTH IRAs, etc.). The spreadsheet
should be able to find and d/l the latest prices for my stocks, bonds, and
mutual funds.

Which Quicken do all that? Again, it does not have to do capital
gains/losses, but if it does, that’s fine too.

More importantly, will gnucash do that (Quicken is not cheap!)

Oh, I use W7

Mel