Very basic question about gnucash

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri Feb 20 12:26:19 EST 2015

Hi,

Melvin Billik <mbillik at charter.net> writes:

> O.K. I have a financial spreadsheet that I created and use to track my
> entire financial situation. It has many stocks and mutual funds listed, as
> well as other items (value of home, cars, other local savings accounts,
> etc.). The purpose is just to give me a snapshot of my net worth.
>

> But it is a pain to update as I have to look up each stock/fund and enter
> the latest price. The spreadsheet then calculates the total value and adds
> things up. I have a separate section for cash items, stocks/fund in regular
> accounts, stocks/funds in IRAs, and stocks/funds in Roth IRAs, as well as
> debits (eg: mortgage balance, credit card balances, etc.).
>

>  I have a separate spreadsheet to do capital gains/losses, so that’s not
> essential.
>

> Which Quicken will do the job. I want to be able to enter things like my
> house value, furnishings value, car values, credit card debts, etc. But I
> want the spreadsheet to automatically update my stocks, bonds, mutual
> funds, and keep them separate (eg: IRAs, ROTH IRAs, etc.). The spreadsheet
> should be able to find and d/l the latest prices for my stocks, bonds, and
> mutual funds.
>

> Which Quicken do all that? Again, it does not have to do capital
> gains/losses, but if it does, that’s fine too.
>

> More importantly, will gnucash do that (Quicken is not cheap!)
>
> Oh, I use W7

Sure.  GnuCash has a price quote grabber (which does require you to run
an installer before it will work).  Then GnuCash can grab the quotes for
all your stocks and update its price database.  It wont to it
"automatically", you still need to "click the button".

Everything else just sounds like basic accounting, which GnuCash does
well.

Enjoy,